Installing Smoke + CO Detectors
Step by Step Guide
If you are adding new equipment to your alarm system, make sure you have already added the Smoke + CO to your alarm system before you install the piece of equipment.
Common Installation Locations
- Main Living Spaces
Do not install Smoke + CO Detectors in the following areas:
- Within 5 feet of any cooking appliance
- Next to a door or window that would be affected by drafts
- In or below a cupboard
- Outside the home
- Where airflow would be obstructed by curtain, partition, or furniture
- Where dirt or dust could collect and block the detector
- Where it could be knocked, damaged, or inadvertently removed
- Within 10 feet of sleeping areas and in bedrooms that contain fuel-burning appliances
- If the appliance or room is not normally used, such as a boiler room, the detector should be placed just outside the room so the alarm can be heard.
- Ceiling Mount-place the detector at least 12 inches from any wall (measured from the closest outside edge of the detector). The green area below indicates proper placement.
- Wall Mount- place the detector at least as high as a light switch and at least 6 inches from the ceiling (measured from the closest outside edge of the detector). The green area below indicates proper placement.
Installing Smoke + CO
- Consult the user manual included in your packaging for detailed installation, testing, and maintenance instructions.
- If you are going to use the adhesive:
- remove the adhesive backing.
- Press firmly and hold in place for 30 seconds.
- If you are going to use the screws:
- Once a suitable location has been identified, install the mounting base on the ceiling or wall using the 2 screws and anchors provided.
- Fit the Detector on the mounting base and turn clockwise until the detector clicks into place and the alignment notches are aligned.
Was this article helpful?
1 found this helpful